Sara's Library

Saturday, July 4, 2015

WeWriWa - Old Amarillo - July 5, 2015 - Katie's Journey

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by! Finally settled in Oklahoma, with the cancer doc appointment out of the way, and with reliable internet FINALLY hooked up, I think we are ready to carry on with our eight to ten sentence snippets of Old Amarillo, which will be comin' atcha from 5 Prince Publishing on September 3 of this year.

Now to find out why Katie is out on the trail all alone, at night.

Tears burned the back of Katie’s throat. “I’m Katie Knepp, my family lives back up the road a bit in Gasthof Village.”
Michaela nodded, filling her plate with a ladle of beans. “Ah yes, the Amish settlement.” Plucking up a fork, she sat down on a long log and motioned for Katie to join her. “Do you need a ride home, Katie Knepp?”

Taking the proffered seat, Katie shoveled in a forkful of beans, suddenly feeling the effects of her trip in her growling stomach. The beans were gritty, as though they’d been cooked beneath the Dawson family’s covered wagon as they traveled throughout the day. Forcing the bite past the lump in her throat, Katie struggled to remember her manners. “No ma’am, but thank you . . . I’m headed south,” her voice cracked a bit, “to Texas.”

Thank you for stopping by! To get back to the other amazing WeWriWa participants, go here

If you'd like to check out my debut Amish novel, Rebekah's Quilt, which started Katie's story, you can go here

Follow my forthcoming novels and appearances at my website or on Twitter @TheSaraBarnard

Thank you for stopping by and spending part of your Sunday with me!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Sara. Hope you settle in comfortably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim :-) it is good to see you this week!!

      Delete
  2. Katie is so brace, enjoying her story! I could taste those gritty beans for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica!! I really like Katie, too. She gets in so much trouble just for following her heart :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the detail about the grit in the beans. Crunchy! Hope Katie will be okay. She seems determined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Christina! Who doesn't love a bite of gritty beans after almost getting attacked by coyotes hehe :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good snippet. I think you wrote the atmosphere well. Gritty beans, and her "“No ma’am, but thank you..." really worked. Glad you're getting settled in, Sara. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, I can't help but like Katie the more I reread this story :-) I hope y'all will, too :-)

      Good to see you, my friend!

      Delete